Parish History

The history of Sacred Heart Parish was published in the December 1999 edition of CONTACT magazine and is reproduced on the following pages.

  • The Early days tells the story of the parish before 1895 Early days
  • At the end of the 19th century the parish put down roots building its first church – the tin chapel.  1895-1900
  • As the parish continued to expand, it outgrew the tin chapel 1901-1952
  • The new church was built in 1953 and is still in use today 1953-1999
  • The last chapter of the parish history paints the picture at the time it was written and anticipates the future 1999 and Beyond
  • Fr John is the 19th  priest to serve Leighton Buzzard since 1895, all are listed on the Priests page